Lemon Tart with Cardamom
175g plain flour
100g cold butter, grated
25g icing sugar
1 free-range egg yolk
4 large free-range eggs
125m double cream
150g caster sugar
3 lemons, juice and zest
8 cardamom pods
1. Place the flour, grated butter and icing sugar into a food processor. Pulse briefly until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
2. Then add the egg yolk and one tablespoon of ice cold water.
3. Pulse again until the mixture sticks together. Tip onto a work surface and form a rough ball with your hands. Knead the pastry very lightly smooting the ball shape. Wrap it in cling film and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
4.Grease 10 8cm tart tins.
5. Roll out the pastry to 1/4th of an inch. Cut out circles rolling the pastry as necessary. Place the tart cases in the fridge to chill.
6. Preheat the oven to180C fan.
7. Cover the base of the tartlets with baking parchment or foil and fill with a few baking beans.
8. Bake blind for seven minutes then remove the parchment and beans.
9. Return the pastry cases to the oven for another 5 minutes or until they are light golden brown. Set aside to cool while.
*Reduce the oven to 170C.
1. Place the cream in a sauce pan with a heavy base. Open the Crdamom pods and add the shells and seeds to the cream. On a very low heat gently warm till just below boiling point. Immediately remove from heat, cover and set aside to completely cool down. Strain before using.
2. Break the eggs into a large bowl and whisk together. Add the rest of the filling ingredients and whisk again until they are all well combined. Pour the filling mixture into a pouring jug, then into the cooled baked pastry cases.
3. Bake for about 6-7 minutes. The fillinf should be just set but with a slight wobble in the middle.
4.Leave to cool slightly then carefully ease the tarts out from their tins and place on a wire rack to cool completely before serving.