The Silk Route Biryani
2 tbsp salt
5 dried bay leaves
1 star anise
6 green cardamon pods
500g basmati rice
2 medium onions finely sliced
250 ml oil
1 tsp saffron threads
2 tbsp warm milk
1/2 a bunch chopped coriander leaves
60g ghee or unsalted butter
25g cashew nuts
25g raisins 4-5 boiled eggs cut into round slices
1. Mix Marinade in a large utensil, add the chicken and coat well. Marinade overnight.
1. Bring 3 litres of water to the boil and add salt and spices.
Add the rice and bring back up to the boil then cook for 5minutes, or until rice is just cooked still a bit firm in the middle.
2. Drain and Set Aside
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Cook onion in small batches until golden brown.
Remove onto paper towel lined plate.
1. Place in a bowl and cover with warm milk. Leave for at least 10 minutes.
1. Hard boil 4-5 eggs in water. Leave to cool. Peel and cut into round slices.
Assembly and Cooking
1. Place chicken into a pot and place it onto a stove over medium heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove lid. Cook for 5 minutes, turning chicken as required. Remove from heat.
2. Scatter over half the onion then half the coriander.
3. Top with all the rice. Gently pat down and flatten.
4. Drizzle saffron across the surface of the rice.
5. Drizzle over ghee or oil.
6. Place lid on. Return to stove over medium heat. As soon as you see some steam, turn down to low then cook for 15 minutes with the lid on.
7. Remove the lid and place the eggs on top of the rice, then scatter the remaining crispy onions, corriander, cashew nuts, raisins on top. Cover and cook with the lid on for another 10 mins.
8. Remove from heat and Serve Hot.