salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp sesame
3 tsp of vegetable oil
2 tsp fresh mined ginger
3 tsp fresh mined garlic
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin
4 cups rich chicken stock
30g fresh string mushrooms
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sliced green onion
4 stalks of bok choy
1 tbsp black sesame seeds (optional)
2 red chillies (optional)
1. Place the chicken breast, with the tender removed on a chopping board, and hold it flat with the palm of your hand. Using a sharp knife, slice the chicken breast horizontally into two even pieces. You should have 4 pieces of chicken at the end of this process. It is safer if you do this close to the edge of the chopping board. Season with salt and pepper and some vegetable oil.
2. Heat a griddle pan and brush with coconut oil (or any oil with a high smoking point), place the chicken on the griddle and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Then cut into chunky strips.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a few minutes until softened. Add the soy sauce and mirin, stir to combine. Cook for another minute. Add the stock and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 7-8 minutes. Season with salt, to taste. Add a tablespoon of sesame oil.
4. Fill a pot with enough water to cover the eggs, and bring to a boil. Gently lower the eggs into the boiling water, and let simmer for 6 minutes (for a slightly runny yoke) or 7 minutes (for a soft but set yoke). In the mean time, fill a large bowl with ice water. Transfer the eggs to the ice bath as soon as they are boiled to stop the cooking process. Wait at least 5 minutes, then carefully peel away the shell and slice in half, lengthwise. Set aside until ready to serve.
5. Chop the spring onion, red chilli (optional). Slice the chicken into thin pieces. Set aside.
6. Cut the bok choy lengthways and cut the stems off the string mushrooms.
7. When the eggs finish cooking, in a sauce pan take a little of the Ramen Broth and add the cut bok choy and string mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 mins and set aside.
8. Simultaneously, in another sauce pan, add the ramen noodles to the boiling water. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until soft.
9. Then divide the noodles into two large bowls. Add the sliced chicken and the ramen broth.
10. Top with the red chilling black sesame seeds (optional), bok choy, string mushrooms and the soft boiled egg. Serve immediately.