Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
1 pack spring roll rice wrappers
1 pack vermicelli rice noodles
1 large carrot , peeled and shredded or sliced into thin strips
1 large English cucumber , peeled and sliced into thin strips
1/3 red cabbage, shredded or sliced into thin strips
1 bunch fresh mint leaves
1 bunch fresh thai basil leaves
1 pound small, cooked shrimp , deveined, tails removed (optional)
3/4 cup sweet chili sauce
1/3 cup peanut butter , smooth or crunchy
1/2 teaspoon hoisin soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1. Cook vermicelli noodles in boiling water, for just a few minutes, according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Gather all topping ingredients together, including chopped veggies, herbs, cooked shrimp.
3. Add about 1 inch of water to a large, deep dish, or pie pan. Place one rice wrapper into the water and let soak for just 10-15 seconds. It should still feel pretty firm as you remove it and lay it on your counter or plate. (It will soften up as you add the filling ingredients, but If you let it soak for too long it will get too soft and will tear when you roll it up).
4. Layer 1-2 slices of each veggie, a few shrimp (optional), a few leaves of the mint and thai basil and a pinch of noodles on the 1/3 of the spring roll that is closest to you.
Fold the sides of the spring roll in over the ingredients. Then pull the side closest to you up and over the ingredients, sealing everything together tightly, and rolling it up like a burrito.
1. Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.