Root Vegetable Salad with a Warm Balsamic and Chilli Dressing
For the Salad
100g of salad leaves of your choice
6-8 baby carrots
4-6 cooked beetroot (not in vinegar)
2-3 echalion shallots
1/4 cup of bulgar wheat
1/4 cup of toasted flaked almonds
100g of feta cheese cut into cubes
For the Dressing
2tblsp of balsamic vinegar
4tblsp of olive oil
A good pinch of salt
1 tsp of dried chilli flakes or to taste
1. Boil the bulgar wheat in boiling salted water till it is cooked but still has a bite. Drain and set aside to dry.
2. Cut the baby carrots in half and boil for 2-3 minutes. Tip into ice cold water and drain and set aside.
3. Cut each beetroot into four chunks.
4. Cut the shallots lengthways and in a very hot and dry pan char them from each side and let them cool.
5.Now toss together all of the salad ingredients and put on a platter.
6. For the dressing warm some olive oil on a very low heat, mix in the balsamic vinegar and salt. Pour on top of the salad and sprinkle with chilli flakes. Serve warm.